Does theology matter? To hear some people speak, theology is just a thing that brings division, a nuisance that is unimportant. I recently heard a host on a popular Christian nationally syndicated radio station say something to the degree of the following: “We need to focus less on theology and doctrine, because these things only divide. We need to focus on love.” While love is an integral aspect of Christianity, let us recognize that there would be no Christian love if there were no Christianity. If there were no Christian doctrine, there would be no such thing as Christianity.
If Christianity is true, then it is especially important to get our doctrine correct as eternity is at stake. In recent years, Christians have been inundated by a vast array of doctrines and belief systems. Yet, the Christian should understand that peripheral doctrines exist that are so critical that without them, Christianity would not be what it is. To be found within the umbrella of primary doctrines is to be orthodox in one’s beliefs. So how do we tell the difference between Christian orthodoxy and cults? What is the difference between cults and the occult?
Today, we are joined by Michael Boehm. Michael resides with his family in Loveland, Colorado. He is an expert in the area of cults and the occult. He is the founder and podcaster at Youth Apologetics Training, found at youthapologeticstraining.com. Join us on today’s episode of The Bellator Christi Podcast to hear from cult/occult expert Michael Boehm. Join us today as we enter into the arena of ideas.
Outline of Conversation
1. Please tell us about how you came to faith in Christ.
2. First, before we discuss cults, let’s talk about orthodoxy. What is orthodoxy and why is it important for the believer?
3. In contrast, let’s define a cult. How would we define a cult?
4. What is the difference, if any, between a cult and the occult?
5. Why do we not consider Jehovah Witnesses and Mormons to be cultic in nature and not part of Christian orthodoxy?
6. What are the greatest temptations leading modern churches into the realm of the cultic?
7. How and why are cults dangerous?
8. What words of encouragement would you leave with our listeners?
The Bellator Christi Podcast is a production of BellatorChristi.com and is protected under Creative Commons copyright. All rights reserved. The theme is the song “Epic” produced royalty free by Bensound Studios found at Bensound.com. The views expressed on this podcast may not represent those of Bellator Christi or its affiliates. Be sure to subscribe to BellatorChristi.com to receive all the articles and podcasts in your inbox for free. Also, be sure to check out The Bellator Christi Podcast on iTunes, TuneIn, and Stitcher and subscribe for free.
(c) 2017. Bellator Christi.