Over the past few weeks, we have been discussing the fundamentals of Christianity in the series named after C. S. Lewis’ great book Mere Christianity. Thus far, we have confirmed the following fundamentals:
1) God is exclusive, eternal, transcendent (beyond creation), and personal (working within creation).
2) Jesus is 100% God and 100% human in his identity.
Today, we will understand seven ways why the incarnation and virgin birth of Christ was necessary. Why was it mandatory for God to enter into humanity if salvation was to be conferred? For some, the Virgin Birth account appears to be an unnecessary miracle to hold. Others will hold that it is a writing tool of the apostles. Yet, the Virgin Birth is necessary for our understanding of the incarnation. John notes that the “Word (the Logos–that is, Christ) became flesh” (John 1:14). If this is the case, then it stands to reason that Jesus’ entrance into the world would hold great wonder and intrigue. Join us as we investigate 7 reasons why the incarnation was necessary.
- The incarnation fundamental of Christ’s representative OBEDIENCE (2:9; Rom. 5:18-19).
- The incarnation fundamental of Christ’s substitutionary ATONEMENT (Hebrews 2:16-17).
- The incarnation fundamental of Christ’s divine MEDIATION (2:11; 1 Timothy 2:5).
- The incarnation fundamental of Christ’s creational RULE (Hebrews 2:8, 14; Matt. 28:18; Rev. 3:21).
- The incarnation fundamental of Christ’s perfect, moral EXAMPLE (2:18; 1 John 2:6; 2 Cor. 3:18).
- The incarnation fundamental of Christ’s first-fruits of the RESURRECTION (1 Cor. 15:20-23, 26; Col. 1:18).
- The incarnation fundamental of a sympathetic HIGH PRIEST (Hebrews 2:17-18; 4:15-16).
The Bellator Christi Podcast is a production of BellatorChristi.com and is protected under Creative Commons Copyright. All rights reserved. Be sure to go to the site and subscribe to receive all the articles and podcasts in your inbox for free! Join us also on iTunes, TuneIn, and Stitcher.
(c) 2017. Bellator Christi.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2017 Bellator Christi