Among the more controversial issues in society is the issue of abortion. However, Christianity has stressed the importance of life throughout its history spanning two millennia. Ancient Greeks and Romans had abortions and also killed their unwanted children by a process called “exposing.” Young unwanted children were abandoned after birth on remote hillsides with no blankets or clothing. The children were exposed (from whence the procedure received its name) to the elements and wild animals. Ancient Greeks and Romans would especially employ exposure if the child was a girl rather than a boy.
Christians, however, were known to save young children from death. Early Christians stood opposed to the practice of abortion, also, as noted by the early book The Didache which is thought to contain the teachings of the apostles and certainly illuminates us as to the practice of the early church. The Didache states that a person should “not murder a child by abortion or kill a new-born infant.”
Yet today, despite the history of the church promoting otherwise, many hold that abortion is acceptable. Instead of promoting a pro-life paradigm, many emphasize pro-death. Thus, it is imperative that the Christian stress the importance of the pro-life movement.
Joining us today on The Bellator Christi Podcast is Clinton Wilcox. Clinton is from Fresno, California and is a staff apologist with Life Training Institute, and a certified speaker and mentor with Justice for All. He specializes in training pro-life people to make the case for life effectively and persuasively. You will not want to miss today’s podcast.
Outline for the Podcast:
1. Tell us a bit about yourself and how you came to faith in Christ?
2. Biblically speaking, why is it important for Christians to defend the pro-life stance?
3. What arguments do we have to support the belief that life begins at conception?
4. How do you respond to the claim that the woman has a right to her body and is, thereby, justified in having an abortion?
5. Often, the issues of rape and incest are brought forth as a means to justify abortion in particular cases. What is your response to this claim?
6. It seems that most everything is politically-driven these days. Recently, I heard the argument that if abortion is not legalized, then women will have abortions in dangerous conditions. How would you respond to this claim and how would you distinguish the pro-life view from political party lines?
7. What is the most convincing argument supporting the pro-life view?
8. What are some practical ways that Christians can help the pro-life cause?
 Cyril Charles Richardson, ed., “Didache.” Early Christian Fathers, (Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1953), http://www.ccel.org/ccel/richardson/fathers.viii.i.iii.html, retrieved February 6, 2016.
The Bellator Christi Podcast is a production of Bellator Christi.com and is protected under Creative Commons Copyright. All rights reserved. The views expressed by guests on the podcast are their own and may not represent those of BellatorChristi.com and its affiliates. The theme is the song “Epic” produced royalty free by Bensound Studios and can be found at Bensound.com. The Bellator Christi Podcast can be found on iTunes, TuneIn, and Stitcher. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast to receive all the weekly podcasts and weekly messages from Pastor Brian Chilton. Also, be sure to visit BellatorChristi.com and subscribe to receive all the articles and podcasts directly in your inbox absolutely free!
(c) 2017. Bellator Christi.